ClearPath pinout to to my MK3/4

Motors, motor drivers, power supplies, ...

ClearPath pinout to to my MK3/4

Postby dakman » 06 Feb 2017, 14:44

Just purchased two ClearPath DS series stepper killer motors; I have used their motors at work but have not used the DS series.

Can anyone here hold my hand in wiring the Clearpath motor to my MK3/4....

The clearpath has 8 wires coming from the motor, listed below.....I know I need step, direction, enable, but which of the + - do I use? .... be gentle boyzzzzzz ;>} :oops:

I/O Connector

4 Enable +
8 Enable -
3 Input A+
7 Input A -
2 Input B +
6 Input B -
1 HLFB (output) +
5 HLFB (output) -
dakman

Controller: Other

Re: ClearPath pinout to to my MK3/4

Postby dakman » 07 Feb 2017, 14:27

According to their manual, this should work.... wish me luck..... :lol:

Input A+ Direction
Input B+ Step
Enable
dakman

Postby dakman » 09 Feb 2017, 00:20

OK planet CNC can you give me some guidance here?

attaching as per Teknic clear path

Input A+ or A- = direction wht or brn wire
Input B+ or B- = step blk or yel wire
enable +- = Enable blu or Orn

Tried A+, B+ and Enable + no motor movement

Can someone tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong here?

Please help me out!!!!!! :evil:
dakman

Postby dakman » 09 Feb 2017, 15:30

It's like the enable line is not being activated.

What voltage should I see at the enable pin, when a motor move command is executed from the Planet CNC software GUI?

I still have steppers on my x and z axis and they seem to be working fine.

Any one with ANY Clear Path experience here?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi
dakman

Postby Support » 10 Feb 2017, 07:48

Sory for delay.

Please see this diagram:
https://planet-cnc.com/how-to-connect-m ... ed-inputs/

You can use common cathode and connect DIR and STEP pins from controller axis header to A+(DIR), B+(STEP) and GND to A- and B-. Enable would be connected the same.

Then in settings go to File/Settings/Axes-> Motor Enable
Enable "Use Motor Enable" feature and try configuring "Invert" option to suit your hardware needs.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby dakman » 10 Feb 2017, 15:50

I have done everything you stated except for the invert....what is it inverting. ..+ to -...just want to understand what's going on. ...thanks for getting back with me.
dakman

Postby dakman » 14 Feb 2017, 14:25

OK, checked the enable and invert box and got the clear path motors working but now the the two other axis x, and z don't move; these are the original steppers on those axis. If I uncheck the invert box, the steppers work and the clear path motor don't. Do I have to do some sort of wire swapping on the steppers to get them in the same enable state with the clear path motors, while the invert box is checked?

Almost there.....
dakman

Postby Support » 14 Feb 2017, 14:57

Enable pin for clearpath and stepper drivers are different. Are you planning to use both drives at the same time with one machine?
Support

Postby dakman » 14 Feb 2017, 22:10

Yes, I plan on using the two different motors at this time.

I'm driving my y-axis with the two Clear Path motors, slaving one to the y2 axis.

I also see an invert setting where the axis can be reversed. Can I simply invert the inverted steppers there and get things rolling.... ;)

Looking forward to your response....
Stephen
dakman

Postby Support » 15 Feb 2017, 12:41

Well if your stepper driver uses different Enable pin normal state as Clearpath drives then these two would conflict. Could you describe little more in detail and more evident how are you planning to use clearpath and stepper drivers on your machine?
Support

Postby dakman » 15 Feb 2017, 18:28

The Clear Path guy sent me an email suggesting the following.... can your hardware invert the individual motors or is it all or nothing?

The other suggestion was that changing the wiring to reverse the logic might be doable, what do you think?

The following is the Clear Path response to my similar question to them:

Enabling both Steppers, and ClearPath:
It's likely that the "sense" of enable for you stepper motor, is different from the ClearPath motor, in other words, a "High" output signal to the steppers may indicate a disabled state, whereas the ClearPath would interpret the same signal and an enable command. To fix this, you may be able to configure your controller board to "Invert' the enable logic on stepper axes while leaving the ClearPath axes alone. Another possible solution could be to wire the Enable input of the ClearPath differently so as to invert the logic, your controller board guys may be able to help you with this.

Discuss boyzzzz :roll:
dakman

Postby dakman » 15 Feb 2017, 18:33

Also, here's my stepper driver pin-in/out for reference.

Connector P1 Configurations

Pin Details
PUL+
PUL- Pulse signal: In single pulse (pulse/direction) mode, this input represents pulse signal; 4-5V when PUL-HIGH, 0-0.5V when PUL-LOW. For reliable response, pulse width should be longer than 1.5μs. Series connect resistors for current-limiting when+12V or +24V used. The same as DIR and ENA signals.

DIR+
DIR- DIR signal: In single-pulse mode, this signal has low/high voltage levels, representing two directions of motor rotation. For reliable motion response, DIR signal should be ahead of PUL signal by 5μs at least. 4-5V when DIR-HIGH,0-0.5V when DIR-LOW. Please note that motion direction is also related to motor-driver wiring match. Exchanging the connection of two wires for a coil to the driver will reverse motion direction.

ENA+
ENA- Enable signal: This signal is used for enabling/disabling the driver. High level(NPN control signal, PNP and Differential control signals are on the contrary, namely Low level for enabling.) for enabling the driver and low level for disabling the driver. Usually left UNCONNECTED (ENABLED)
dakman

Postby Support » 16 Feb 2017, 13:17

Your stepper drivers and servo drives have opposite normal enable values. you cannot set enable invert option for each axis separately.
Support

Postby dakman » 16 Feb 2017, 14:08

Planet guys....

more from Clear Path:

The description of the drivers unfortunately doesn't give me enough information to suggest how to wire the ClearPath inputs. I would need to know both,what type of enable signal your controller board is capable of sending (NPN, PNP, TTL, Differential, 5V, 12V, 24V etc.) as well as what type of inputs your stepper system has (NPN, PNP, TTL, Differential, 5V, 12V, 24V etc.). In addition to understanding the type of outputs and inputs, I need to understand what states correspond to enable vs disable (from this description it sounds like high level enables the driver, and low level disables, but this is confused by the statement that unconnected, which would typically be the same as a low state, is enabled).
If you could provide a circuit schematic of the enable outputs on your CNC control board as well as a description of how you are currently wiring the ClearPath motor, I could recommend different wiring that would reverse logic.
dakman

Postby dakman » 17 Feb 2017, 15:57

Enable set on, invert off, both the steppers and the Clear Path now working.
Wiring for the Clear path below. :mrgreen: :o

Success!

Controller ClearPath
Ena- -------------------Ena-
Dir + -------------------Dir+
Step + -----------------Step+
Grd --------------------Dir-,Step-
+5vdc ------------------Ena+
dakman

Postby dakman » 18 Feb 2017, 17:28

rewired the clear path and all is well......

OK, now that I've seen what these clear path motors can do and how quiet they are, I'm going to replace my x and z axis with these beauties....these motors are awesome! :mrgreen: :o :) ;)
dakman

Postby Support » 20 Feb 2017, 13:33

Which model do you have?
Support

Postby dakman » 25 Feb 2017, 22:23

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Controller Cable, 10 ft CPM-CABLE-CTRL-MU120 2 $46.00
DC Power Cable, IPC (or hub) to ClearPath, 10 ft CPM-CABLE-PWR-MS120 2 $38.00