EMI

Motors, motor drivers, power supplies, ...

EMI

Postby Teelzebub » 27 Apr 2015, 10:15

Hi I want to use my compressor help clear the chips while cutting, the problem I'm getting is when the compressor kicks in to pump up the tank and when the compressor stops because the tank is full it also interferes with the control signal.

The machine and all the control equipment is fully shielded and the USB cable is a double shielded one so the problem is not there.

I'm guessing it's likely on the ring mains power cables, I've tried putting the compressor on a totally different ring main which seem to have lessened it a bit but not enough, I can't move the compressor further away so that's not an option I was wondering if those line conditioners would help although they are really designed for audio and TV equipment.

Would a large metal plate grounded and place like a wall between the compressor and CNC help?
Teelzebub

Controller: Mk2

Re: EMI

Postby Support » 28 Apr 2015, 09:01

Line conditioner could help, are you using external power supply for your controller?
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby Teelzebub » 28 Apr 2015, 15:11

Hi not sure what you mean by External PSU? but the PSU I'm using is a Phoenix trio-Ps 24VDC / 10A the one in this link.

http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/electri ... ply-2.html
Teelzebub

Postby Support » 29 Apr 2015, 08:35

As external power supply for controller, the POWER connector.
Try using filter for your compressor PS cable.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby Teelzebub » 30 Apr 2015, 10:06

Right, Then yes re the power I'll be ordering a couple of line conditioners so I'll post the result once I get them
Teelzebub

EMI suppression

Postby mghood » 23 Sep 2017, 05:04

When power is removed from an electric motor the electromagnetic field in the motor collapses it induces a large spike in its power line. Refrigerators, freezers, and anything with an induction motor can cause this. When a motor has a load close to it's the motors capacity the spike will be induced.

1. Power your compressor on a different circuit breaker

2. One is to install a whole house surge protector MOV (metal oxide varisistor in your breaker box.

3. Use a properly rated MOV across your power supply 110 vac line and one from hot side to ground certainly will help

4. There are several ways to eliminate the problem. one

5. Use a UPS power supply (This is what I did and cured the problem)

6 Try a large electrolitic capacitor on you DC at the processor board.

7. The most effective method is to run your processor board off a recharable battery with a constant charging circuit. The spike can't get across the battery

I used a UPS power supply along with #3)

mghood
mghood

Controller: Mk3

Return to Electronics