Probotix / USB PBX Not Connecting to Laptop

Probotix / USB PBX Not Connecting to Laptop

Postby dieselpower » 25 Jun 2015, 19:22

Hi My windows 8 computer I used to use for running the software and controller for my v90 cnc machine quit, so I got another one. My new one is windows 8.1. I installed newest version of software, installed the drivers, and rebooted and did the "disable driver enforcement". However, I cannot get my software / computer to connect to the controller. The software will load up g-code fine, but I cannot jog, run cut, etc. The motors on my cnc machine make a click when I plug usb in, so I assume it's doing something, but not allowing me to run. What is the problem? Laptop is a Dell Inspirion 15, windows 8.1, core i3. I realize this new computer doesn't have the best specs, but my old one that I ran many times with this controller / machine wasn't any better, and it worked flawlessly. ???
dieselpower

Controller: Mk1

Re: Probotix / USB PBX Not Connecting to Laptop

Postby Support » 29 Jun 2015, 07:01

You should contact PBX regarding this issue since you are using their hardware.

Have you installed driver for Windows 8, have you followed the steps correctly?
Is the status led blinking correctly (cca. 1Hz)?
Are buttons in the toolbar enabled?
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby AlanC » 05 Mar 2016, 08:05

Hi,

Looking for the right forum area and this seems as close as I could find!

I have:
PBX=USB Rev1.4 (MUSI-RJON-RLPJ-BHFI) that is not recognised by a new install on windows 10.
I also have two Mrk1s:
010231 and 010550 that are not recognised as well.

Recognised as in the licence number is not recognised when entered and the firmware verify fails.

Under Windows 7 it did recognise the 010231 (the others I have not tested).
It asked to do a firmware update so I said yes.
It partially works, circles okay on screen but fails on the machine (looks like a rounded square several cms across).
Still not recognised on the Windows 10 laptop.

Can't install the old version of the software under windows 10 (needs Directx 9.0C RTL and Windows 10 would allow it) and the new software does not appear to recognise the Mrk1s.
The firmware upgrade does not seem to work and even then not recognised under Windows 10?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards AlanC
AlanC

Postby AlanC » 05 Mar 2016, 08:29

Hi,

Okay to my last post of Mrk1 Boards not recognised, I found the disable driver signature post.
Now 10550 board is recognised but did not upgrade firmware due problem on my other board (10231) after the firmware update. Will test to see if this board has the same problem.

Regards Alan
AlanC

Postby AlanC » 05 Mar 2016, 10:11

Hi,

Third post to say after reinstalling, after disabling driver signage, the driver installation question was asked by Win10 (answer yes) and then everything was fine.
Boards were recognised, forced to install firmware update, circle problem gone.
Any other problems are my own as they say!

Regards AlanC
AlanC

Postby AlanC » 06 Mar 2016, 07:21

Well perhaps I spoke too soon.

Ran a test engrave (~10 minute run), all good.
Ran the test a second time but the machine was frozen?
Power down the power-supply/driver and power back up - no.
Reset the controller from software - no.
Unplugged the USB and replugged in the USB - yes.
Too soon to blame the driver?

Second run, all good in software, fail on machine (similar to the circle problem but less extreme.
Looks like the Y axis is failing but the drill returns to home more or less (can't be 100% sure if if has lost some steps but if it did not many).
Repeat and same - can't be sure it is identical because I did not run to completion.
The only change from yesterday other than to set the speed 1000 mm/min for the engraving.
Had enough!

Dismantle the set up and inspect the machine, motors are hot but not that hot (80 degrees C perhaps).
Z and X axis turns freely, Y axis is stiff. Check the retainer-tension nut, no change if loosened.
Will have a closer look at the main screw-nut and stepper coupling later.
The main screw nut seems to be a cut down linear bearing with a nut held in by an aluminum L bracket.
After the thing has cooled down the Y axis is freer but not as free as the Z and X axis.
Okay I will have to have a look at this later.
Perhaps 1000mm/min is too fast.

Settings:
It rather puzzled me that I had to use 400 steps per mm (to match the measured CNC distances) as the steppesr are very likely 200 steps per rev and the main screw is 2 mm per rev. Okay a quick calculation tells me the driver is quarter stepping. That seems like a waste of CPU and electrical power for pretend accuracy?

Okay, 1000mm/min is about 1667 full steps per second - okay, "lights on" its probably too fast for these steppers particularly if there is a mechanical problem with the Y axis.

Okay, look at the y axis screw to see why it is so stiff, slow down the speed to 500mm/min and see if I can full step the power-supply/driver. Hopefully its is not a controller problem.

Regards AlanC
AlanC

Postby Support » 07 Mar 2016, 09:56

for a start please check if all your wiring is shielded, are you using double shielded USB cable and if you use external power supply for controller.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby AlanC » 09 Mar 2016, 14:53

Hi Support,

Well I have spent a few days tracking down most of the problems (hopefully no more).

• I was driving the machine too hard and overheating the Y axis screw nut (one of those plastic jobs I think) so backed off the speed (from 1000 mm/min to 500 mm/min) and the depth of cut.
  • I checked the current limit on the driver boards and they were equal to the maximum the chip could handle (so they will overheat on a hot day (~40 degrees) and they did) so backed that off to 75%.
  • I changed the micro-stepping from 1/16 step to 1/2 step (this reduces the maximum pulse rate the controller needs to deal with).
  • I found a loose connector wire on the Y axis drive board that was causing some problems.
  • I found the Z axis cable between the driver board and the stepper motor had a broken wire (an intermittent fault!).

The last one was nasty, everything would appear to work for a while and then it would drive the bit into the bed of the machine.

So I will replace the cables tomorrow.

I am hoping that the freezing of the machine at the end of a job is related to the bad cable.

My thoughts on the install program (for Win10) is that it should check that the driver did install and warn the user if not. Because Win10 does not tell you the driver did not install! Would have saved two days of frustration.

I am using a high quality USB (printer) cable (~1.8m) between the computer and the controller and an individually shielded (parallel port) printer cable (~1.5m) between the controller and driver/power-supply. The controller and computer are a reasonable distance from both the driver/power-supply and the machine steppers. I don't have any reason to believe the problems are related to these cables.

Regards AlanC
AlanC

Postby AlanC » 30 Mar 2016, 10:45

Hi All,

Just to finish off my posts:
Rewired the CNC machine.
Replaced the cable router (too small for the new cables)

All good - the motors run warm to touch and no other issues.

Only note was that the power supply for the spindle even when all turned off at the front panel, was live (the RCD tripped)!
So take care with these Chinese machines, don't trust them. Remember to unplug from the wall.
I was caught out because I was checking the spindle direction as I was finalising the cable connections.
No jot for me but my soldering Iron got a surprise!

Regards AlanC
AlanC

Return to Mk1 controller