Should PlanetCNC controller work with counterfeit controllers

Yes, I don't care if Chinese use stolen technology
5%
No, PlanetCNC has right to protect their technology
95%

Total votes : 37

Re: Your opinions and ideas

Postby Tony7102 » 13 Jul 2016, 16:33

I am a hobbyist and recently bought a MK1 controller board on eBay to see if I could successfully build a 3-axis CNC for PCB. I tried a few CNC Software Demos with the board and liked the PlanetCNC the best, so purchase a license. No where on the purchase site did it say that the license would be tied to one board forever.

My intent was to learn on the cheap eBay CNC board and buy a better one later when I became more efficient at using the CNC and software. At the correct speed to make a 3.5 inch by 5 inch PCB, the control board began giving buffer errors about 1/3 through almost at the same place every time. After some research, it was apparent that the cheap eBay CNC board is not fast enough for what I want to do.

I just found out I will have to rebuy a new license for a faster (say MK3) board, even if purchased for PlanetCNC. This is just wrong.

PlanetCNC need a warning on their site explaining this, or only sale their software with a board. What happens when a CNC is hit with a power surge and is unusable?? This sounds like a great way to cheat a consumer. And is very unfriendly to hobbyist, who make mistakes on a regular bases.
Tony7102

Re: Your opinions and ideas

Postby Andrej » 14 Jul 2016, 08:57

Cheap controllers found on eBay and also on other sites are all made without our permission. Mk1 DIY plans and firmware were published publicly but commercial usage is still forbidden.
You can use this work and make derivative works based on it but only for noncommercial purposes.
For commercial purposes you need written permission from us.
http://planet-cnc.com/diy/

For some time we were fighting this legally but we soon learned that this is like Don Quixotes fight against wind mills.

We could simply disable our software when this controller is detected but this would punish users. Bad guys will continue with their behavior.

A lot of people is not aware of this. We get a lot of email from people who learned this after they purchased Chinese version and they want to make things right by buying original.

Not to mention bad reputation that we get because those boards are not working like they should. I believe this is causing us greatest damage. This topic is typical example. You got ripped off by eBay seller by selling you illegal counterfeit product and now we are bad guys? No thank you. I'm not working twelve hours per day for this.

You describe situation when you damage your controller. So you buy another one (2x sale for bad guys) but we need to give our work for free?

You do not realize that license is not for software. License is for controller. This is our way to get something in return for all our work. Software is free to use for all licensed controllers.
Andrej

Controller: Many controllers

PlanetCNC and counterfeit controllers

Postby Andrej » 14 Jul 2016, 09:08

What is your opinion?
Andrej

Controller: Many controllers

Re: PlanetCNC and counterfeit controllers

Postby Plotter » 14 Jul 2016, 14:24

I read on CNCZone how you started, with this whole USB CNC idea - many moons ago.
A few people knocked your idea as not possible.

If you compare Planet-CNC prices with other USBCNC solutions last time I check Planet-CNC was the cheapest even with the license separate. There is Opensource solutions available if you want to hone your CNC machining skills as a hobby. If you want really nice software with a ton of extra features I think it is just
fair to pay a fair price.
Plotter

Postby JerryBurks » 14 Jul 2016, 16:20

I know it has historic reasons due to DIY MK1 controller but maybe you should re-consider your distribution model since these are obsolete anyway.

IMO you would be better off selling the controller board with license as a package. You need a one-to-one purchase anyway and that would eliminate the frustration from folks who believe they have bought a software license.
JerryBurks

Controller: Mk2

Postby nicolap8 » 01 Aug 2016, 16:04

JerryBurks wrote:I know it has historic reasons due to DIY MK1 controller but maybe you should re-consider your distribution model since these are obsolete anyway.

IMO you would be better off selling the controller board with license as a package. You need a one-to-one purchase anyway and that would eliminate the frustration from folks who believe they have bought a software license.

I second Jerry.
Remember that we are in the Information era: correct information is not an option!
Simply stating:
Every controller requires this license. Without license it is limited to 25 moves.

it's not enough, is insufficient.
nicolap8

Controller: Mk2

Postby Mike_from_Pembroke » 29 Nov 2016, 11:58

Clone China (and other) Planet CNC controllers seem to be here to stay and I have some sympathy for the uninformed and sometimes innocent user who purchases one without knowing the software is illegal.

My suggestion is to turn it into a Win Win - (We are trying to sell software, and perhaps hardware aren't we?)

The system, as it exists now is you can purchase Planet CNC software licence for clone board, but you are discouraged not to because of poor construction and slow outdated processor and after purchasing legitimate software, you are "dead ended" with useless board and software you probably have to throw away. In a sense you feel like you have been taken advantage of TWICE.

Why not supply free "speed test" on line, which will tell you how many axis and what maximum pulse rate your clone board will support. (It would give us with legitimate boards a quick diagnostic as well).

Allow and even encourage clone customers to purchase software, issue them a new unique, one only, machine number to go with their clone board.

If in the future they are unhappy with their clone board (and this should/could apply to broken or outdated Planet CNC boards as well), offer a return option for LICENCED boards (clone or legitimate) with a say $10 handling charge to allow them to purchase a new PlanetCNC board at regular price with their software transferred to the new board. You of course would just junk the old boards.

I think this would encourage and give clone customers an upgrade path to legal Planet CNC software (and hopefully eventually new Planet CNC hardware) with the advantage of support, software upgrades, etc, and not "throw in their face" that they were taken advantage of. This would give them (and why not earlier Planet CNC customers as well) a hardware upgrade path and allow them to run with the software and hopefully after they use the software for a while, actually take advantage of the hardware upgrade offer too.
Mike_from_Pembroke

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby Xadyburn » 25 Jan 2017, 07:14

Nothing worse than people stealing other peoples hard work.
Xadyburn

Postby Jarsofclay1979 » 20 Mar 2017, 20:33

Ok so i have one of these controllers and i keep seeing over and over they are counterfeit and knock offs and illegal....i saw the plans myself and you have them post as open source... So by definition anyone who uses these plans does not make counterfeit and if they modify something open-source its no longer even yours because anything that is remade and remanufactured in a new way becomes property to do so however they see fit..I understand your sore about chinese garbage controllers using crack license and i would be too... But thats between you and them how they are illegally giving a license code to use the software. If i were you id get a lawyer and sue for illegal use of software. Theres nothing you can do about the hardware especially if they modify except take down your plans and revoke diy permission. Sanven Corporation is whom i bought my cnc from. sanvencorp02@gmail.com they are selling what your saying is illegal licenses.
Jarsofclay1979

Postby Ryadia » 22 Apr 2017, 05:32

Counterfeit controllers or not you sell software as a standalone product. Most countries (EU included) have consumer laws that require you to support (guarantee) your products for 12 months. When I innocently purchased a $2000 router on Ebay, it came with a heavily doctored version of your software and an edited 30 page operating manual that made no mention of Planet USB CNC. A perfect case for copyright infringement.

I had no idea you were claiming ownership of the design of the controller in it. I had bought an engraving machine. None the less I decided to purchase your software that I was totally unaware until I started having troubles that you tie the software to a single board. In my case one you claim is counterfeit. Basically you sabotaged my otherwise functional router by selling me software and tying the license to a counterfeit board. That is simply not fair.

That's my view of the situation. Had you asked me for a picture of the board before selling me a license, fair enough to refuse me. The altered and shortened manual provided with the router has got a high quality image of the board and a USB to LPT cable. It would have then been my choice if I bought one of your boards to get the software or bought an Australian made alternative. My opinion is that you need to re construct your business plan or run the risk of a legal case - against you.

You can't walk away from support for your software after having sold a license to use it that was/is tied to a Chinese copy of a board you no longer make. Consumer laws are for everyone. They offer just as much protection to a seller as they do to a consumer. Profit is not everything in business. Ethics are what make a successful business, not how they make their money.

My opinion, based on 30 years as a company Director is that this issue is going to do you more harm than good if someone takes you on in court using the resources of a government Consumer law advocate. Maybe offering a refund to everyone you sold software to and tied it to a Chinese boards would be better than refusing to support it because you are almost as guilty as the Chinese who misuse your Intellectual property if you do that.

You asked for an opinion, don't blame me if you don't like it.

Ryadia
Ryadia

Return to Software