Your opinions and ideas

CNC USB Controller Software

Your opinions and ideas

Postby Support » 26 May 2015, 11:47

Dear users of PlanetCNC software, how would you like to have your user interface different as from how it is now? How would you make it more useful, intuitive and stress free?

We would like to ask you about your opinions, propositions and ideas regarding user interface. What would be your ideal UI? Buttons, coordinate displays, sliders.... how, where would you place them, would you like something to be added, removed etc?
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Re: Your opinions and ideas

Postby johnsattuk » 26 May 2015, 14:50

Would be nice to be able to move toolbars
Display just the buttons most used .
Be able to adjust spindle speed, being able to set a low default spindle speed would be good

The layout suggested by saiyan » 10 Feb 2015 would very close to perfect for me :D
johnsattuk

Controller: Mk2

Postby Allen McFarlen » 26 May 2015, 20:01

As I and several others have mentioned in a previous threads, the ability to be able to quickly and easily zero out the x,y and z coordinates individually in order to preform second operations. Without the possibility of loosing our machine coordinates for tool changes.

This is such basic and fundamental requirement in the machine shop that the Planet CNC software lacks.
Allen McFarlen

Controller: Mk3

Postby saiyan » 27 May 2015, 12:19

+1 For Me

I work from the beginning with this Andrej Soft & MK1 card, this Soft (& Usb Hardware) is really the best I've had (I recommend also to all my friends in France) it lacks a customizable interface(select what is diplayed, toolbars dockable, colors edit) end is it will reach perfection......

Regards
saiyan

Controller: Mk1

Postby saiyan » 27 May 2015, 14:47

Simply Roland inspirat :
Vpanel.JPG
Vpanel.JPG (73.13 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Last edited by saiyan on 27 May 2015, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
saiyan

Postby saiyan » 27 May 2015, 14:49

Saiyan Inspirat :
Usbcnc.jpg
Usbcnc.jpg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
saiyan

Postby mechatronik » 28 May 2015, 22:44

The current UI has an appearance more of a typical Windows type application controlled more or less by a mouse and Keyboard. An optional UI which can be controlled by a touch panel would be my choice.

However the most thing I am missing in CNC Control Software for Hobby use is the lack of Cycles.
As a Hobbyist my machining ideas are created in the shop with a limited set of tools and material,
where I do not bother with the professionell process of Cad/Cam or even worse writing G-Code.
It would be nice to have a graphical Interface where I coud define basic shapes to be machined which are otherwise difficult or impossible done by manual operations on a manual mill, e.g. round pockets with a shaft mill.

In the professional CNC World my favourite Program in this respect is Shop Mill from Siemens, however an Overkill for Hobby use. On YouTube are tutorials

regards
Horst
mechatronik

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby SpindleJockey » 29 May 2015, 12:58

The current UI is very good . . . it's simple, clean, and logically laid out. This UI is the main reason I chose Planet CNC controllers and software for my machines. Simple is good.

Some degree of customization might be useful; however I feel the current UI is excellent just the way it is. Recent posts (above) seem to suggest changing UI features to look more like Mach3. That would be a mistake - Mach3 has a messy, clunky, non-intuitive UI. We all avoided Mach3 for a reason . . .

From my perspective, the area that needs considerable improvement is documentation.

The User Manual should serve as a training manual for educating the user about both the detailed setup and operation of each feature. It should not just offer a quick description of each feature, but rather, provide detailed examples to help the user understand how each feature could be implemented and used. The current descriptions/explanations are too basic and lack the depth that would allow the user to use the manual as a learning tool.

A more robust, and detailed, user manual would benefit both beginning and experienced users when using and trouble-shooting problems with this excellent software.

- Tom the SpindleJockey
SpindleJockey

Postby nicolap8 » 06 Jun 2015, 10:53

One of the most important part of a software is the documentation.
Your software is very good but the doc part is weak. (But support is very good!)
For example: there is a new version but not a list of changes.
The manuals are not updated.
I write software from more than 25 years so I know very well how is difficult and challenging to write (good) documentation!!

Add a WIKI section to your site and let users to contribute and you will solve this.
nicolap8

Postby nicolap8 » 06 Jun 2015, 10:55

In the settings windows there are a lot of settings that are difficult to comprend.
If you add a hint (tooltip) to editboxes this can simplify a lot our work.
nicolap8

Older software versions

Postby mew09 » 06 Jun 2015, 12:59

Is it possible to mount older software versions? As the products evolve and some become obsolete it may be difficult to find the older software versions.
mew09

Postby Support » 08 Jun 2015, 08:09

The older software versions are not published, but you can save the old versions on your computer.
if you do not have them, you can always write to our support mail and we will send it to you.
Support

Postby Support » 08 Jun 2015, 08:12

We will update all documentation, but there is a lot going on currently and these objectives are advancing little slower.

Thank you for understanding.
Support

Postby Jimmydee004 » 15 Jun 2015, 21:00

My Two Cents Worth . . . . . . . .

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who thinks the documentation could use more detail.
When I bought "Arnold", my CNC, everything was setup and ready to go. Needless to say, when changing my processor to the MK3/4, there were many setup options I had know idea what the setting should be.

I personally would pay for video of "How to setup" the processor. The instructions seem to be for someone who knows what the are doing, that is, having experience in CNC setup.

What I have learned is that you can make changes in the setup and if they don't work, try something else!

How about a seminar in Europe and the US? Sign me up!

Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX
Jimmydee004

Postby Support » 16 Jun 2015, 07:55

We understand the problem with user manual and we are doing our best to update it.

Thank you for your understanding.
Support

Postby zohozer » 19 Jun 2015, 08:53

For me stress free means multi-platform support.
zohozer

Postby Elegatec » 05 Jul 2015, 09:10

Can you add the G-code edit save ability?..
Elegatec

Postby Support » 06 Jul 2015, 09:08

Does "Program/Edit G-code" not work for you?
Support

Postby Allen McFarlen » 18 Jul 2015, 21:04

I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a spindle RPM display and a method to change it via a slider or similar.

As the focus of the MK3 board seems to be leaning towards the industrial style of machinery, and these machines more often than not running VFD's and spindles, a visual readout of the spindle's RPM and ways to tweak during a program while at the machine are pretty much mandatory.

I have just had the opportunity to work on a Tormach mill with the Path Pilot software. They have done an admirable job of layout and functionality of their screens. Might be worth having a look for ideas if you are going to be doing some major overhauls to the Planet CNC software interface.
Allen McFarlen

Postby nicolap8 » 22 Jul 2015, 10:30

There are only two possibilities:
1) the toolbars are NOT moveable
2) the toolbars are moveable

In the case 2 I and only I can move a toolbar! It's VERY ANNOYING that every time I update the software the toolbars position's is changed to default. This is a BUG!!!

A suggestion: maybe I'm not the only that need a "Previous Offset" command that can undo a "Offset zero" command done by mistake (and requiring a complete realign :( ).
Thanks
Nic
nicolap8

Postby Hanspeter » 29 Sep 2015, 14:13

I believe CNC USB software should include automatic setups for various CNC applications.
I for one use my CNC for prototype PCB engraving, would love to see settings peculiar to
PCB millling ie only menu functions pertaining to this work is enable, same as features not
applicable to MK1 are disabled.
Will allow beginners whom want to focus purely on Lathe, PCB, Paneling and many CNC
applications not to be intimidated by wealth of options found in CNC USB software.
Hope this will limit unnecessary tweaking with settings unrelated to CNC job at hand.
Hanspeter

Postby nicolap8 » 30 Sep 2015, 13:10

Installed the last beta and... the toolbar are moved!

Many software houses have a bug/ticket system that let users to inform you of bugs and let you to inform users how and when bugs are corrected!
nicolap8

Postby victorhernandezc » 12 Nov 2015, 03:53

I wish that there will be a feature that allows to implement other forms of control of motion (kinematics) Like H that already supported.

I am very satisfied with the speed of CNC with MK3 card. I want to build a hexapod (Stewart platform) and so far I have only the Linux CNC as an option to execute code G with a hexapod, the problem is that this software uses the parallel port, which greatly affects the speed of the computer. I pretend program the kinematics for my machine
victorhernandezc

Postby Mar_cone » 24 Dec 2015, 11:42

Hello, I apologize for the Google translation :-(
use the controller MK3 / 9 and it would be convenient to have the possibility to combine some of the inputs of the card (possibly by using the Extin board) to the functions of offset, positioning and measuring points and more precisely to the following:

/45801
/45802
/45811
/45812
/459
/48001
/48002
/48003
/48004
/48006
/470
/44101
/44102
/44103
/431
/432
/433
/434

Each user can create a custom keypad with external commands and used them to partata hand near the CNC without access functions from the PC.
I saw that some users have used an Arduino suitably programmed, although this solution is definitely brilliant and running, I consider it impractical.
Thank you
Marco
Mar_cone

Postby traderdays » 30 Dec 2015, 09:59

spindle speeds and control
traderdays

Next

Return to Software