New Planet-CNC Mk3/4 controller

General topics about everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

New Planet-CNC Mk3/4 controller

Postby Support » 03 Dec 2014, 09:41

Planet-CNC will be releasing new Mk3/4 controller in few days. You can pre-order Mk3/4 in our web shop.
Mk3/4 is 4 axis controller based on Mk3.

Mk3/4 and Mk3 will be replacing the Mk2 series of controllers.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Re: New Planet-CNC Mk3/4 controller

Postby SpindleJockey » 03 Dec 2014, 14:04

What are the similarities and differences between the MK3 and the MK3/4 controllers?

I'm beginning to think that I made a $150 mistake ordering a MK3 when the MK3/4 would have been all that I needed (of course, there was no mention of an upcoming MK3/4 controller a month ago). A 4-axis MK3 option would have met my requirements. A 119€ purchase for a MK3/4 would have been better for my budget than the 219€ that I spent for the MK3.

In the future, it would be useful to know upcoming developments for those people considering the purchase of new controllers, etc.

I am sure there are many others who share my situation (there was quite a bit of promotion in the forum - in responses from "Support" - that encouraged the purchase of the MK3 controller, with no mention that a MK3/4 would follow along as an alternative option for those who are seeking a 4-axis option. This information would have been useful to know a month ago when I was deciding on which new controller to purchase.

- Tom the SpindleJockey
SpindleJockey

Postby Support » 04 Dec 2014, 07:43

MK3/4 is basically Mk3 only with fewer inputs/outputs and without ethernet support.

You see, we published the Mk3/4 news yesterday because testing and everything else was in its final stage and we thought it is the right time.
If we would done this one month ago then it would be inconvenient for some other user. There will always be somebody that is not happy with the timing.

We understand you and we apologize for any inconvenience but you should also understand us.
Support

Postby The-Dragon » 04 Dec 2014, 10:58

Support wrote:MK3/4 is basically Mk3 only with fewer inputs/outputs and without ethernet support.

I can‘t believe that is what you really want.
For me this is not a replacement for MK2, this looks more like a new MK1.
Since I work with Ethernet (MK3), I’ve had never more any problems or mistakes with communication.
If someone is looking for a used MK1, you can get mine. :D
So why you don’t built a MK3/4 with ethernet?
I guess that is what many people want to have.
The-Dragon

Controller: Mk1

Postby evgeninikolov » 04 Dec 2014, 13:05

The-Dragon wrote:
Support wrote:MK3/4 is basically Mk3 only with fewer inputs/outputs and without ethernet support.

I can‘t believe that is what you really want.
For me this is not a replacement for MK2, this looks more like a new MK1.
Since I work with Ethernet (MK3), I’ve had never more any problems or mistakes with communication.
If someone is looking for a used MK1, you can get mine. :D
So why you don’t built a MK3/4 with ethernet?
I guess that is what many people want to have.

Well, I don't fully agree with you. If the price tag is ok many people could live w/o Ethernet. I am having MK2 with double shielded USB cable and I have never experienced problems due to EMI.
evgeninikolov

Postby SpindleJockey » 04 Dec 2014, 14:25

Andrej:

I understand the logic of your explanation.

The core issue that I have is not the timing of the release of the new MK3/4 controller, but rather the idea that an alternative controller was in development at the time of my purchase, and many of us who are upgrading from prior Planet CNC controllers might benefit from knowing about possible future products before they become available, so that we can adjust our upgrade plans accordingly. This would benefit everyone . . . the purchaser would be able to anticipate and purchase a product that closely matches their requirements (even though they may have to wait until the actual product becomes available) and Planet CNC is able to exactly meet their customers' needs, thereby retaining, loyal repeat customers.

In my case, I purchased the MK3 for a machine that I have designed and have just started to build. I purchased the controller far in advance of actually needing it; more than likely it will be months before I will actually be ready to install the controller, so I could have easily waited until the release of the MK3/4, if I knew that it was being developed.

I now have a nice controller (MK3), that I paid an extra $150 for, with many features that I will never use, whereas, if I had known about the possibility of an MK3/4, I could have delayed my purchase and bought the controller that perfectly met my needs.

There will always be winners and losers. I understand that - there needs to be a cut-off when new products are phased-in and phased-out.

But in this case, it would have been useful to know about the possibility of a 4-axis MK3 option while the product was being tested and validated. Similar information was posted in the forum while the MK3 was being developed and tested about a year ago. The same should have been done for the MK3/4.

I would have been perfectly happy using a MK3/4 using USB communication link vs. Ethernet; I have had minimum problems using USB communication with my MK1 (with problem cabling, etc.). My MK1 is still working flawlessly on my first CNC machine . . . a very simple, but excellent controller, I might add.

The $150 I would have saved could have been applied to something useful rather than a bunch of extra axis inputs that I will never put to use. It looks impressive to have 9-axis capability, but my needs are for only for 4-axis control.

Tom the SpindleJockey
SpindleJockey

Postby mitja » 04 Dec 2014, 20:24

If you still won't install the controller for months then you can sell MK3 and buy MK3/4 ;) You'll have plenty of time to do so.
mitja

Controller: Mk3

Return to General topics