What to buy?

General topics about everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

What to buy?

Postby Steevo25 » 09 Apr 2014, 19:57

Hi All,

I am very new to the world of CNC. I purchased a cheap, imported machine which seems to work fine and suits the purpose I purchased it for. It came from China via eBay and is called a CNC 3040T-DQ. I am aware these machines have variable quality but for my needs it seems to suit me fine (mainly used for one-off PCB production).

There are, however, a couple of things I don't like. One being Parallel port driven and the other being the software available for it. Mach3 is the recommended software but I find it very clunky, complicated to use and doesn't support Gerber files so have to convert everything from my PCB design software to G-Code first.

Then I found USB CNC on here which I have played with and it seems perfect. I also like the idea of the controller supplied by PlanetCNC. The problem I have is that I am a little unsure of what to purchase to be compatible with my CNC machine.

I sort of figured out I will need a controller card (Mk 2/4) and four motor drivers along with a software license. What I am unsure about is the power supply. The power supply on the Planet CNC website says 4.5amps and 24v. The details that came with the machine went along the lines of stepper motor 1.8 amp 2-phase 60N.8 segments drive. It also says the spindle motor is 50v 11000rpm.

I opened up the control box but the power supply just looks like a Doughnut with no information on it regarding voltage, amps etc.

I know next to nothing about stepper or spindle motors so have no idea what type of power supply I would need to compliment the items I mentioned above. Also, whether the items I think I need to purchase are the correct ones. I couldn't find any contact details for PlanetCNC so this is the only way I can ask.

Hopefully someone can advise.

Many thanks in advance.
Steve
Steevo25

Re: What to buy?

Postby Support » 10 Apr 2014, 08:25

We can suggest you two options depending on your situation:

If you use Mk2/4 board, there would be needed slight electrical wiring modifications in your box.

or

You still use Mk2/4 board but with our DB25 adapter. In this case you will have plug&play situation, meaning you can start using your machine immediately.

In both cases, you can use existing power supply and drivers you got with the machine.

Please send us Mach3 settings file(xml you probably got with the machine or screenshot). Your control box might have different pin-out, and we will make sure that your DB25 adapter will be compatible.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby Steevo25 » 10 Apr 2014, 08:38

Many thanks for your reply.

Just to be sure I understand, you are saying that I could just buy the controller card, software license and the DB25 adapter and this would allow me to run the machine from USB and use my existing control box with your software.

If you could confirm, then I will look through the CD that came with it and send it over to you and order the bits. I didn't use a setting file as such, it just came with a document on a few things to change in Mach3 in the manual.

I have since found out a bit more information about the stepper motors. They were manufactured in bulk specifically for these manufacturers. I searched the web for the part number that was written on the side of the motors and I got the specifications. They are 7.2v 0.6A motors. The spindle motor I am told runs off 36V and requires 4.8amps. All they have in the control box is a transformer that supplies both these voltages (there is no switching power supply).

The manual I got with the machine is located here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 7335,d.ZWU

It just shows screenshots of the changes to make to the default installation of MACH3.

Many Thanks
Steve
Steevo25

Postby Support » 10 Apr 2014, 09:15

If you use this setup: Mk2/4 controller + DB25 adapter + CNC USB software(with purchased license), you will be able to run your machine from USB with the existing control box. This whole setup should be plug&play.

We have 3040 machine here, and we also use the DB25 adapter.
Support

Postby Steevo25 » 10 Apr 2014, 09:57

Many many thanks. That seems just what I am after. I am going to order the bits you recommend very shortly.

Just one final question, how does this connect up and do I need any additional cabling other than a USB cable?

I assume that the controller connects to my PC via a USB cable and then the DB25 adapter goes in to the back of my original control box. How do I connect the controller to the DB25 connector? I would also assume I need a 9VDC regulated power supply to run the controller?

Best Regards.
Steevo25

Postby Support » 10 Apr 2014, 10:43

You don't need any additional cabling, assuming that you have your own USB cable. Make sure it is double shielded.

The cable that you need for connection of controller and DB25 adapter is included.

You also need a 9 or 12V DC, at least 200mA power supply.
Support

Postby Macmaps » 13 Apr 2014, 10:46

Interested in this thread as well, I have a Tonsen t3040C -H80 that I have had ongoing control issues with - feed rate, skipping and looking to upgrade. I have posted a separate thread but will track responses here. Keen to see how you go Steve
Macmaps

Controller: None

Postby Admin010 » 24 Feb 2017, 10:31

thanks for that.
Admin010

Controller: Mk1

Postby Support » 27 Feb 2017, 15:12

@macmaps: Do you need any information or help?
Support

Return to General topics