does mk1 drive the THB6064AH

does mk1 drive the THB6064AH

Postby stumitch » 30 Nov 2012, 22:31

hi all... i'm pretty new to this stuff although i am an electronics and metal/wood teacher so i'm fairly comfy with the concepts... i've built a machine that runs with mach 3 and one of the cheap boards that use the TB6560 chip. it worked for a month or 2 really well than POP went one of the chips. i've heard that is common so i have ordered 3 of the bipolar stepper driver kits called "lucs THB6064H" at the massmind website...
i like the idea of the planet cnc product with a piece of software designed to operate through the USB and without Mach3 (it has worked well...not putting it down...) so heres the question...
-can i use the MK1 DIY with the bipolar driver? (the THB6064)
-I noticed the DIY board has a 6 pin socket next to the pic... is it a programming header i can use in-circuit with the ICSP pinout on my canakit pic programmer?
-Are there any reservations to spending the money to buy the software? i'm your typical broke teacher and would like to be sure of it before i spend the money :-)
thanks for any advice!
-stu
stumitch

Controller: None

Re: does mk1 drive the THB6064AH

Postby Andrej » 01 Dec 2012, 07:22

- Yes, Mk1 can drive this driver
- This is ICSP but you need to check pinout
- You can try and test controller without license
Andrej

Controller: Many controllers

Postby rpt007 » 21 Apr 2014, 11:44

Hi Stu,

I have recently purchased Luc's THB6064AH drivers and also own Andrej's MK2/4 controller as I like the USB connectivity as well as the User Interface of CNC USB.

Yesterday I began with the test setup of one motor/driver and the MK2/4 controller.
The driver card was tested and tuned as in Luc's description - everything ok, current limited to 30% - holding torque ok.
Then the connection with the controller card. I used "common anode" connection (leaving the GND open); used a separate 9V power supply (jumper to "REG") and connected ENABLE, DIR, STEP and +5V (measured: +4,7V on controller).

Power up sequence:
- PC was running (CNC USB program not yet started) and without USB connection to MK2/4.
- 9V power to MK2/4 while it was already connected to Luc's driver (while stepper motor was already connected); measured +4,7V at MK2/4 +5V Terminal.
- 24V power to Luc's driver card with the motor
- USB cable plugged in PC
- all LED's on MK2/4 illuminated/blinking as expected

I set up my CNC machine with 3 axis in the right order (although having connected only X-Axis driver.
Set some measurements in the initial setup as I would, when the real CNC mill was connected.

Then I used the virtual jogging function in the software interface and the values increased/decreased as expected -but no motor movement.

As it was already late I stopped at that point and before I blow something I began to search the Internet today if there was already somebody with a comparable setup (CNC USB and Luc's THB6064AH).

Would be nice if you could help me with some ideas or the complete setup parameters (of course I would have to tune them to my machine's dimensions and params, but I think it could give me the kick in the right direction).

Happy last Easter hours
Raimund
rpt007

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby Andrej » 23 Apr 2014, 06:00

THB6064xxx needs high enable signal.
This can be set in settings. On section Axes, check "Motor Enable/Use Motor Enable".
Test if "Motor Enable/Invert" needs to be checked or unchecked.
Andrej

Postby rpt007 » 22 Mar 2015, 18:54

Long time ago ;-)

Eventually I had the time to really care about the setup.
My MK2/4 now works with the THB6064AH (Luc Degrands PCB).

Wiring:
As Luc's PCB scheme is based on "Common Anode" - hence have a look at Andrej's FAQ (How to connect motor driver - use the Common Anode scheme). Just connect Enable / DIR / STEP and +5V.
Attention: don't connect GND of MKx board with motor driver board!

Settings:
Axis: check "Use Motor Enable" AND check "Invert" (if you don't invert, the driver won't be enabled!)

Then "normal" machine setup as your personal machine environment requires.

Hope that helps to get the steppers run.
rpt007

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby Support » 23 Mar 2015, 07:55

Thanks for this guide :)
Support

Return to DIY