Anyone got CNC-USB working with a Contour ShuttlePRO?

Jogging keyboard, output board, MPG pendant, adapters, ...

Re: Anyone got CNC-USB working with a Contour ShuttlePRO?

Postby HankMcSpank » 02 Feb 2012, 17:44

Just a couple of comments....firstly, I commend you on a job well done. The overall contour integration seems nicer vs mach3 (especiallt the shuttle & jog wheel - excellent)

These buttons don't seem to work....

Zoom tool (nothing happened when I selected)
Zoom extents.....I first zoomed out then pressed this button expecting my object to get large - nothing happened.

Also, I'm still unclear how to program my own contour buttons - for example zero DRO ...how would I put that onto the button presently used for 'select A axis' (I have no A axis so that an obvious button to go for - ....it's button 13 if it helps)

many thanks once again

(oh btw, expect some immediate 'new user' thoughts/musings on the main CNC app over the coming days. :) Straight away, I think the Z height representation (down the left hand side of the view window) could be a little more emphasised....particularly once it's into negative -ve....I reckon that -ve portion should be red in colour....I'd also prefer an arrow tip vs the horizontal line presently used, but hey, maybe that's just me!)
HankMcSpank

Controller: Mk2

Postby Andrej » 02 Feb 2012, 18:00

Zoom extents is not in default settings.
Check .html file inside zip. It shows configuration.
Andrej

Controller: Many controllers

Postby ron.dunn » 02 Feb 2012, 22:16

Hank, why do you think Z- should be red? That is a normal condition for me, as Z0 is on top of my material.

Ron.
ron.dunn

Controller: Other

Postby HankMcSpank » 02 Feb 2012, 22:54

ron.dunn wrote:Hank, why do you think Z- should be red? That is a normal condition for me, as Z0 is on top of my material.

Ron.

Only becuase when the tool is below Z0 it's normally cutting something (ie tool hitting stock!) ...whilst this is what you normally want, I just feel the Z indicator 'region colouring' on the left hand side of the viewe, should make this more apparent (especially useful when simulating) ...but like I say, maybe this is just me...this is whay I wondered about a feature request sub forum...someone proposes an idea , the forum readership then follow up yay or nay (bit like the recent skins thread ....NAY!)
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 02 Feb 2012, 22:56

Red means limit switch is hit. But Z- can be yellow :shock:
Mk2 and Mk2/4 only :cry:
I use this to protect my machine table and tools. This way I can never crash my machine again.
And I also use Z0 on top of my material. :D

I can make tutorial in another topic. Perhaps someone with Mk2 or Mk2/4, limit switches, fixed tool sensor and movable tool sensor could follow my tutorial. I'll start tommorow.
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 02 Feb 2012, 23:06

Just in case it's not clear what I'm getting at...
Attachments
Z.jpg
Z.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 5631 times
HankMcSpank

Postby m_thread » 02 Feb 2012, 23:14

Andrej wrote:I can make tutorial in another topic. Perhaps someone with Mk2 or Mk2/4, limit switches, fixed tool sensor and movable tool sensor could follow my tutorial. I'll start tommorow.

This sounds great. As a cnc beginner just setting up my machine I'm still a bit puzzled about how the normal 'work flow' looks like.

That is, how to set offsets and tool offsets, when to load program etc...

/Fredrik - Just bought a Software License :) 25 instructions aren't that many...
m_thread

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby ron.dunn » 02 Feb 2012, 23:53

Thanks for the picture, Hank. I had misunderstood, I thought you were asking for the position DIGITS in the X/Y/Z fields at the left of your image to be coloured. I didn't realise it was the colour bar in the drawing area :)

Ron.
ron.dunn

Controller: Other

Postby HankMcSpank » 03 Feb 2012, 01:26

Andrej wrote:Zoom extents is not in default settings.
Check .html file inside zip. It shows configuration.

Ok, so I see the present configuration, but what if I want to modify it.

Apologies for labouring the point here.....I still can't figure out how to entr a key sequence for a button wrt to a CNC_USB 'action'

For example to use the contour button 13 for zero axis, the present keystroke setting (select A axis) is showing shift + control + 4

I clearly now need to enter something in that keystroke field to get button 13 to zero the axis instead ...I've looked up the MDI command for zero DRO...I think it's /44101 but how do I put that in the contour control panel keystroke field?
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 03 Feb 2012, 07:01

Contour ShuttlePRO also has user manual.

Following keys are impotant for axis zeroing and offsets:

Keystrokes:
"Ctrl + Shift + 1 to 9" - select axis
"Ctrl + Shift + N or M" - select prev/next axis

Macros:
"\9441\" - zero selected axis
"\44101\" - zero X axis
"\44102\" - zero Y axis
"\44103\" - zero Z axis
"\9452\" - offset selected axis
"\45211\" - offset X axis
"\45212\" - offset Y axis
"\45213\" - offset Z axis

You can define whatever you want with this. My donfiguration can be an example how to do this.
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 03 Feb 2012, 10:15

Ok, just to add some meat on the bones for anyone else wanting to configure their shuttle pro for the MDI commands - to use MDI commands with CNC-USB, the contour shuttle needs a macro, here's how to do it....

(the following assumes you've already loaded the shuttle pro driver/control panel imported Andrej's CNC-USB settings file into the contour control panel)

Open shuttle pro control panel (it's minimized in the task bar)

select 'key composer' tab at the top

Click new - give your macro a name (for example 'Zero Selected Axis')

Click into the description field and put a short description of the macro (eg Zero selected Axis)

click 'add in group' ....a new window pops up, now select the 'Type Text' radio button ...and enter the MDI number into the box alongside - so for Zero selected axis it would be \9441\ - now click ok.

Ok, so now we have our macro that will send the MDI number to the CNC-USB app, now we need to map it to a contour button of choice/preference.

Still in the contour control panel, select the 'shuttle pro' tab at the top,

in the application settings drop down list, select CNC-USB ....now in the 'user action' drop down, select the contour button you wish to change, now select 'macro' in the 'computer response' drop down, finally select the name of your macro (that you created above) in the macro box drop down list (put a comment in the comment field if you wish) - click apply....job done!

I'm delighted that I'm now able to configure my contour shuttle with MDI commands to suit my own needs/preferences now :)

Edit: Just one point - when selecting the different axises (axii?) ...there's no onscreeen indication of which axis has the 'focus'...for example if I use the contour to select the X axis....I have no way of seeing the X axis has been selected onscreen in the CNC_USB app ...perhaps a green perimeter around the selected axis DRO to show that it has the focus?
HankMcSpank

Postby HankMcSpank » 03 Feb 2012, 21:36

Now had a chance to use this in my CNC machine...alas, having some problems....Andrej did you test it much?

It works fine at first but if you say jog the X left then tight then left then right etc....soon it doesn't change direction and continues in teh same direction no matter which way you turn the wheel (on y axis too - didn't try this on th Z axis). Also I'm getting axis move 'lockups' where the contour wheel doesn't move the axises at all at some stage ()worse still, in this scenario the onscreen jog controls don't work either...only way to sort is to press the emergency stop then press energency stop again.
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 03 Feb 2012, 21:53

My guess is, you have USB connection problems. Try different and shorter USB cable.
TrendNET might also help.

There is selected axis indicator on status bar.
Andrej

Postby pjohnsonj » 19 Apr 2012, 12:14

Hey Andrej,

How about this new pendant, comes in a wireless and wired form. Nicest one I have seen for the money. As usual it is designed for Mach3 however, looks like it is a modified ShuttlePro with a dro. It apparently is using a modified shuttlepro.dll. What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Wireless-Mach3-MPG-Pendant-Handwheel-fr-Mac-Mach-3-4axis-engraving-machine-/280861888445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4164ac4fbd#ht_3860wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-USB-Manual-Pulse-Generator-remote-pendant-MACH-3-engraving-Router-/270958853351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1667fce7#ht_4134wt_1163
pjohnsonj

Postby skillalot » 20 Apr 2012, 07:14

Looks good, if it will be supported by cnc-usb I would buy it!
skillalot

Postby excelfreak » 24 May 2012, 00:54

Andrej wrote:Contour ShuttlePRO also has user manual.

Following keys are impotant for axis zeroing and offsets:

Keystrokes:

Macros:
"\9441\" - zero selected axis
"\44101\" - zero X axis
"\44102\" - zero Y axis
"\44103\" - zero Z axis
"\9452\" - offset selected axis
"\45211\" - offset X axis
"\45212\" - offset Y axis
"\45213\" - offset Z axis

You can define whatever you want with this. My donfiguration can be an example how to do this.

Andrej,

I got the ShuttlePro as well and like it much better than the keyboard. For some reason the "select axis" keys don't work. Your setup file for the Shuttle is correctly set to the proper sequence, e.g. Shift+Control+1 however NONE of the select axis commands work.

So I tried the Shift+Control+1 key combination in the CNC USB software and that doesn't work either, so I am not surprised that the Shuttle can't "trigger" this.

Question:

You said:
Keystrokes:

The next and previous axis commands work but not the select axis commands. I looked in setup>keys and there is no select axis X,Y or Z, or at least I couldn't find it.

Is that something I need to define? and if so where?

I have the latest software

Please advise

Andreas
excelfreak

Controller: Mk1

Postby Andrej » 24 May 2012, 06:55

"LShift + LCtrl + LAlt + 1 to 9" - select axis

You can see all this in settings.
Attachments
Image001.png
Image001.png (15.62 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Andrej

Postby excelfreak » 24 May 2012, 11:02

Andrej,

thanks, that works now. I got confused. I guess the labeling needs to be corrected at some point.

Axis/Select/A ----> X
Axis/Select/B ----> Y
Axis/Select/C ----> Z
Axis/Select/D ----> A
excelfreak

Controller: Mk1

Postby Andrej » 24 May 2012, 11:24

Axis/Select/A is first axis on controller. Usually it is X but not always.
Andrej

Postby igorkkk » 01 Jun 2013, 19:52

Hi Andrey!

I have the MK2 and Shuttle. There is a problem.
Shuttle works good but at one time it stops to work and dont answer to keys and jog.
By mouse I make one step for machine at any wayvand Suttle works againe.
There is Win XP sp3 at my computer.
Can You help me?
igorkkk

Postby igorkkk » 01 Jun 2013, 19:59

Hi Andrey
I have MK2 and Shuttle. There is a problem.
Shuttle works good but from time to time stop and dont answer to keys and jog.
To enforse it work i should make one step to machine by mouse and Shuttle works againe.
There is Win XP sp3 at comp.
Can You help me please.
igorkkk

Postby Andrej » 01 Jun 2013, 22:20

ShuttlePRO simulates computer keyboard. I don't know why you have this problem. This is not very reliable.
Andrej

Postby JerryBurks » 08 Jun 2013, 04:36

I just bough one of the ShuttleProV2 and it works indeed very well (except for the "file open" button but I don't care about that one). Easier to use than my home built remote. Only thing it can not do is the spindle speed pot but maybe I just move that one to the lid of the electronics box.

Excellent addition, and thanks to Andrej!
JerryBurks

Postby JerryBurks » 08 Jun 2013, 21:35

Just noticed something that I need to fix. When using the center fine step rotary know, it happens a few times that I touched and activated the outer fast jog ring by mistake. Not very good when e.g. you are trying to set the bit height over the work piece precisely and suddenly the bit slams into the wood.

I will probably glue a tall extension knob on top of the center part to get my fingers away from the ring. I am also wondering about a rounded bottom plate so that it is easier to hold in the hand.
JerryBurks

Postby JerryBurks » 13 Jun 2013, 04:22

Dang, does not always work. I started the machine today and the Contour Shuttle did what it was supposed to do. Then I turned the spindle on and off with the screen button. After that the Contour Shuttle was unresponsive for jogging (probably also the other functions but did not try). But the screen jog buttons and the direct hardware jog buttons still worked. It looked like it had lost the USB connection. Maybe I do have a noise problem after all, although it seems to happen rarely.
JerryBurks

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories