Anyone got CNC-USB working with a Contour ShuttlePRO?

Jogging keyboard, output board, MPG pendant, adapters, ...

Anyone got CNC-USB working with a Contour ShuttlePRO?

Postby HankMcSpank » 23 Jan 2012, 20:50

Subject says it all really...I use a contour shuttle pro with Mach3 (they provided a plugin)....I'd really like top be able to sue it with cnc-usb.....anyone done this or could hazard a guess on the likely potential for it working with cnc-usb?
HankMcSpank

Controller: Mk2

Re: Anyone got CNC-USB working with a Contour ShuttlePRO?

Postby ron.dunn » 23 Jan 2012, 22:25

I haven't done it yet - waiting for my board to arrive - but it looks like it should certainly be possible.

The Shuttle driver can be modified to send any keystrokes you like in response to button presses and wheel movements. As long as you know the keystrokes accepted by CNC-USB, you should be right to go :)
ron.dunn

Controller: Other

Postby Andrej » 24 Jan 2012, 08:46

Perhaps you noticed that each menu is numbered. File/Open has value "/101".
This is called MDI shortcut. If you type "/101" then corresponding command will be executed.

You can program external input devices to use these MDI shortcuts. I use this with PoKeys.
I also have small numeric keyboard near machine where I can type-in these MDI shortcuts.

I haven't tried this with Shuttle but if it is possible to program it then it will work fine.
Andrej

Controller: Many controllers

Postby ron.dunn » 25 Jan 2012, 10:14

Looking into this more deeply, it might not work.

An example of using the Shuttle would require a keystroke to set each axis ... ie, Alt-X, Alt-Y, Alt-Z ... then keystrokes that defined Step+, Step-, FastStep+, FastStep-. You'd assign the axis selection keystrokes to buttons, and the Step and FastStep keystrokes to the inner and outer rings of the jog wheel.

Maybe we can put it on the wishlist for a future release :)
ron.dunn

Postby Moonglow » 26 Jan 2012, 06:00

Why not use handmade jog keypad ? And connect it to controller unstead of PC ?
Moonglow

Postby ron.dunn » 26 Jan 2012, 07:00

Because Shuttles are really nice :) You get the features of rotary encoders and buttons in an elegant little package that works with any software that accepts keystrokes.

I first got to use Shuttles with audio software. Great interface. I think they'd also be useful for CNC machines.

One question to consider - they're both USB devices. Would a Shuttle interfere with Planet CNC?
ron.dunn

Postby HankMcSpank » 26 Jan 2012, 09:10

Also, becuase shuttles work with a huge amount of other software, a lot of folks already own contour shuttles - having cnc-usb 'shuttle pro' ready, which would picque a lot of usb-cnc buyer potential interest because then they can press what they already have ito play & not have further expenditure for a decent tactile CNC interface.

I have to say, this is a little bit of a worry for me...I've just sprung on a 9 axis controller & I now worry that leaving my present mach3 setup (which the contour shuttle works nicely with) for usb-cnc might now be more painful than I'd factored!
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 26 Jan 2012, 20:58

I hope my Contour ShuttlePRO v2 will be delivered tomorrow by DHL.
It would be great if I could add support for it over weekend. :D
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 26 Jan 2012, 21:07

Andrej wrote:I hope my Contour ShuttlePRO v2 will be delivered tomorrow by DHL.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I concur...in fact, it would be truly magnificent if you could add support for the shuttle pro over the weekend! :mrgreen:
HankMcSpank

Postby m_thread » 26 Jan 2012, 23:09

Andrej wrote:I hope my Contour ShuttlePRO v2 will be delivered tomorrow by DHL.
It would be great if I could add support for it over weekend. :D

Ooh no! If you do that I too will have to buy one next week ;)

Keep up the good work!

/Fredrik
m_thread

Controller: Mk2/4

Postby Andrej » 27 Jan 2012, 18:03

I'll probably get it on Monday.

How should I assign buttons?
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 27 Jan 2012, 18:49

Andrej wrote:I'll probably get it on Monday.

How should I assign buttons?

Initially, I don't have a strong opinion - anything is better than what we have presently(!) but clearly the jog & shuttle rings need to move the axii. (btw: I don't recall the jog inner ring working within my MAch3 contour shuttle enviroment, so this would be a real bonus for fine movement of each axis)

I am not sure how you intend implementing this within your program ...but ultimately it would be nice to see it implemented within cnc-usb in such a way that allows the end user himself to decide the button action (for example how about a new 'countour shuttle' config screen with a 'user entry field' for each contour shuttle button - the user would just need to enter the cnc-usb mdi number & then that button would issue the usb-cnc command?)

i'm not sure if you've seen how tit was done in MAch3, so I've attached a screen shot
Attachments
contour.jpg
contour.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
HankMcSpank

Postby ron.dunn » 27 Jan 2012, 22:37

Hank and Andrej, it should be the other way around. You don't assign buttons, you assign keystrokes.

Shuttle has its own mapping utility that associates buttons with keystrokes in all applications, or in specific applications. Leave it to the end user to define their own mapping, although some users will appreciate a default configuration file.

Also, don't forget that there are TWO Shuttles - the Pro shown by Hank, and the Shuttle Express. The Express will make a great entry point jog device. You don't need to do anything in the application to support these devices, other than assign keystrokes to menu items and/or controls.

I've been through this several times in different applications. Let me know if you'd like some help or advice.
ron.dunn

Postby HankMcSpank » 27 Jan 2012, 22:46

I actually bought my contour to control an audio app...but it didn't get a whole lot of use. I was delighted to establish it could be pressed into play with MAch3 without any effort on my part ...I've never had to bother reading the contour instructions!

re your earlier post...

ron.dunn wrote:Looking into this more deeply, it might not work.

An example of using the Shuttle would require a keystroke to set each axis ... ie, Alt-X, Alt-Y, Alt-Z ... then keystrokes that defined Step+, Step-, FastStep+, FastStep-. You'd assign the axis selection keystrokes to buttons, and the Step and FastStep keystrokes to the inner and outer rings of the jog whee

....are you now saying it should work with the standard contour suppolied utilities? (I have my contour, but still waiting on my 9 axis board...whereas you all have your boards but are waiting on your contour shuttles!)
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 27 Jan 2012, 22:53

This is easy for standard application but remember that you're not "keystroking" simple copy/paste.
You are controlling machine and things are little different.

This device might be great for video editing applications but not so great for CNC. That is why some customization will be needed.

But demand for this is high and I'll give it a try. I'm sure it will help me edit my videos at the end :D
Andrej

Postby ron.dunn » 27 Jan 2012, 22:59

Hi Hank,

It won't work as-is, because the current version of CNC-USB does not assign keystrokes to the functions we'd require to get the shuttle working. Once Andrej assigns keystrokes to required functions, we can quickly make the shuttle work through the standard Shuttle configuration utility.

I don't think it will be a 5-minute effort, mainly because of the two sets of jog controls - one in the main windows, one in the larger pop-up window. Also, these appear to be implemented as bitmaps rather than buttons (I could be wrong here) which will be a little added complication.

Anyway, let's see what Andrej comes up with ... he's the expert in CNC-USB :)

Ron.
ron.dunn

Postby Andrej » 27 Jan 2012, 23:20

Controller software has 3 sets of used definable jogging keystrokes, both for speed jogging and step jogging including diagonals.
If Contour ShuttlePRO is any good then this will work straight away.
Andrej

Postby ron.dunn » 28 Jan 2012, 00:22

Andrej, aren't they different keystrokes for each axis? For Shuttle you might need to simplify the keystrokes. Here's an example of the way you'd use a Shuttle to fine position the spindle, with some made-up keystrokes.

1. Press button A to select X-Axis (sends ALT-X to application)
2. Move rotary ring to right for fast movement (sends stream of ALT-P to application)
3. Move rotary dial to right for fine movement (sends stream of ALT-p to application)
4. Move rotary dial to left for fine movement (sends stream of ALT-m to application)

5. Press button B to select Y-Axis (sends ALT-Y to application)
6. Move rotary ring to right for fast movement (sends stream of ALT-P to application)
7. Move rotary dial to right for fine movement (sends stream of ALT-p to application)
8. Move rotary dial to left for fine movement (sends stream of ALT-m to application)

I think you get the picture :)

The important thing to note is that the rings in the center of the Shuttle can send four keystrokes:

1. Rotary right
2. Rotary left
3. Ring right
4. Ring left

Those keystrokes can't be modified during the use of the Shuttle, thus the need to use the buttons to select the active axis to which those movements will be applied.

If your software does this already you're great :)

Ron.
ron.dunn

Postby Andrej » 28 Jan 2012, 21:55

Few modifications in software were needed but Contour ShuttlePRO v2 works preety well :D
You need version 2.10.1201.2801 or later.
Configuration is here:
http://www.planet-cnc.com/files/ContourShuttlePROv2.zip

ShuttlePRO.png
ShuttlePRO.png (29.53 KiB) Viewed 7849 times
Andrej

Postby ron.dunn » 29 Jan 2012, 01:27

Good work! Looking forward to trying it out when my CNC-USB arrives this week.

Ron.
ron.dunn

Postby HankMcSpank » 29 Jan 2012, 09:33

Looks good, but any chance of a 'Zero DRO on one of the buttons? (or outlining how I can modify the buttons myself)

I typically use the suttle to move my axises around...once I'm happy with their position I zero the axis, so sometyhing like this....

select X axis (jog about) .... zero DRO
select y axis (jog about) .....zero DRO
select z axis (jog to position) ....zero DRO

start cutting cycle.
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 29 Jan 2012, 16:02

I've added "Zero Axis" and "Offset Axis" to configuration.

I've also added new "Reverse MDI shortcut" syntax which is better for defining macros.
For "File/Open" you can define macro \101\ (backslash at start ena end of number). All menu commands can be used this way.

Download new configuration and new beta version.
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 02 Feb 2012, 16:34

Hi Andrej,

I received my card this morning (tks) but I'm still a ;itttle puzzled what steps I need toet the shuttle pro controlling CNC-USB

I've got the latetst version of your CNC app 2.10.1201.3101, I've downloaded the countour zip file ....is this still the latest - http://www.planet-cnc.com/files/ContourShuttlePROv2.zip (perhpas it would be better on your download page?)

....what do I do now?!! (I tried dropping in the scripts folder - is this correct?)

Would you be so kind as to knock up a step by step guide (both for installatiuon & user configuration of the buttons after it's working)
HankMcSpank

Postby Andrej » 02 Feb 2012, 16:42

- Extract settings from ContourShuttlePROv2.zip file
- Open Contour ShuttlePRO "Control Panel"
- Import settings extracted settings
Andrej

Postby HankMcSpank » 02 Feb 2012, 16:47

Thanks...that makes a lot more sense.

Whilst I've now got my new 9 axis card attached to my laptop. I've not actually got any cnc machine connected (just getting familiar with all the previously greyed out icons!) , but nevertheless I can see in the view window that the tool position moves about as I shuttle with the jog wheel ....well cool!

thanks!
HankMcSpank

Next

Return to Accessories