2 simple groves

Pictures, plans, gcode, projects, tutorials, ...
All stuff that you do with your machine.

2 simple groves

Postby wrongway » 03 Apr 2016, 20:06

track.jpg
kind of like this but smooth transitions from straight to turns it a slot car track
track.jpg (235.58 KiB) Viewed 821 times
I am very new to all of this and would like some help if some one out there can tell me in very simple terms like do this and then do this and so on I am a first timer at all of this and don't really know cad/cam at all but trying to learn how to make a simple pair of groves to start with they need to be 5/8 of a inch apart and a 1/16 deep and make a kind of oval where the lines need a long straight to a simple 90deg curve and a small straight to the next curve 90deg down a long straight to a small 90deg curve to a small straight to a 90 deg turn and then do the same for a inside grove and kind of tell what I am doing so I can add more and maybe change the turns a where they go

Thank You

slot car track is the first thing I want to make and my table is 2feet by 4feet and the track over all will be on a 2 feet by 6 foot board so I need to do this in 2 half like maybe cut the 2 groves half way around and then turn board around and cut the same thing again for the other half I dont know
wrongway

Controller: Mk1

Re: 2 simple groves

Postby Support » 04 Apr 2016, 13:43

You can use AutoCad and learn how to make these geometries in it.
Then you would just import DXF file (autoCad can export it) into our software where you would define the depth of the cuts....http://planet-cnc.com/how-to-import-dxf-files/
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby wrongway » 24 May 2016, 16:52

thats the thing I dont know how to program at all in CAD this is something Iam tring to learn but just dont get it my CNC table is 2 feet wide and 4 feet long but the track will be over 6 feet long and 2 feet wide so I am would like to cut half the track then turn to board around and cut the rest of the track 2 groves 5/8inch apart(16.5mm) roughly and 1/16 deep with around a 20inch radius for the corners that will be a oval this will be a HO train track around the outside part of the board then down the road I would like to cut a HO slot car track in the middle of that with corners and short straights part to make up the road part for the cars if there where simple G-code for me to read or a simple CAD program I could start with maybe this would be a way to learn my first project but so far its harder then I tough thank you so much for your input
wrongway

Postby Support » 27 May 2016, 11:12

Hm, maybe try to read or watch some tutorials for autocad or Solidworks.
You could use DXF import or you can use CAM software to generate your g-code.

I also made a trackbed for my N scale layout and I draw it in AutoCAd and use DXF import feature.
I draw segments of track and then connected them to make a complete one.

I would really recommend to learn the basics of drawing in one of CAD sw, it will be all you need.
Support

Controller: Many controllers

Postby wrongway » 05 Jun 2016, 22:16

new1.txt
(122 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
I have the outside grove is kind of done I will add the gcode I wrote to make it but I would like some help I cant get the straights to transition into the arc they seem to want to zig zag into the arcs and not a smooth transition could someone look at my code and maybe write the correction so I can see what I am doing wrong and maybe add a second grove inside this one 16.5 mm(5/8 inch) spacing so I can make a HO train track this will be my first project on a CNC machine ever still a newbe and trying to learn simple gcode to start then after that move some harder stuff cant afford expensive CAD programs so tried google sketch-up and still dont get it so trying a simple way first to get it to do something

Thank You for any help
wrongway

Return to Various projects